The TDS data center relocation methodology follows a specific process to ensure smooth and successful data center relocation events.
We’ve outlined these 13 steps to give you some guidance on implementing a smooth data center migration.
1. Thorough inspection and documentation of the source data center at least 2 weeks prior to scheduled move date
2. All server related data entered into a purpose-built system (TDS’s unique TransitionManager™) which allows for simple generation of un-rack and re-rack plans and rack elevation diagrams to serve as working plans for the move engineers
3. Bar Code Tagging of servers scheduled to move at least 2 weeks prior to the scheduled move date
4. Data Center walkthrough (both source and target sites) 2 weeks prior to the move event with the lead move engineer and shipper to understand any special requirements or work to perform pre-move day
5. Un-rack plan to maximize effectiveness and minimize overcrowding within the data center on move day
6. System generated labels with server name placed on the rails when removed
7. Rails are transported in advance if/where appropriate, to save time during the physical move process.
8. System generated labels with server name, moving cart number, new row/rack location and U-Position are placed on the servers when removed
9. Re-rack plan to maximize effectiveness and minimize overcrowding in the data center
10. Rack elevation diagrams taped to each target rack for additional visual confirmation that servers are being racked in the proper locations
11. Servers are unloaded and stacked on dollies designated for specific racks based upon detailed re-rack plan
12. Connect all power and network cables based upon detailed re-rack plan
13. Audit of rail installation, server locations and cabling is performed by a project manager or lead move engineer throughout the move and a final audit is performed upon completion
Learn more about this topic in our white paper Survival Guide for Data Center Migration
Learn the difference between cloud orchestration and automation and why it matters for your next IT transformation.
As disruption accelerates, the requirement to adapt is more urgent. At the pace of today’s business, here's why you can't afford the risk of taking it slow.
When executing a cloud strategy it takes time to understand how your apps work, identify those most critical to business, which are best fit for the cloud, and which require modernization before migrating. What if you could accelerate this process by automating your toolchain?
Learn from one of the industry's top pros on how to avoid the mistakes and ensure your data center migration plan will succeed.
Watch how the TransitionManager orchestration platform allows enterprises to execute private, hybrid and public cloud transformation initiatives from end to end to meet digital transformation goals.